Options Dialog Box
You can change many of the settings that affect the 7-Zip File Manager in the Options dialog box. To access this dialog box select Options from the Tools menu.
The options dialog box contains the following pages:
Allows you to specify the behavior of 7-Zip in the filing system.
- Associate 7-Zip with
- Allows to associate 7-Zip with file name extensions.
There are two list of associations: for "Current User" and for "All Users".
To set associations for "All Users" you must run 7-Zip File Manager
with administrator rights.
Each association can have up to 4 states:
- no association.
- AppName - the extension is associated with another program (not 7-Zip).
- [7-Zip] - the extension is associated with another copy (edition) of 7-Zip.
- 7-Zip - the extension is associated with this copy of 7-Zip.
You can switch between these states by clicking on cell. Or you can change states for all extension by clicking on "+" button.
Allows you to specify behavior of 7-Zip in Windows Shell.
- Integrate 7-Zip to shell context menu
- Select this check box to add 7-Zip commands to Shell Context Menu.
- Cascaded context menu
- Select this check box to group 7-Zip context menu items to one 7-Zip submenu.
- Context menu items
- Lists the optional context menu items. If an item is checked, 7-Zip will add this item to the context menu.
Allows you to set the folders which 7-Zip will use for internal purposes.
The working folder section allows you to specify a folder which will be used for temporary archive files:
- System temp folder
- 7-Zip will use the Windows temp folder.
- 7-Zip will use the folder containing the target archive.
- 7-Zip will use the folder specified in the following edit control.
- Use for removable drives only
- Specifies whether 7-Zip should use the specified folder settings only for removable drives; for other drives, 7-Zip will create temporary archives in the folder containing the target archive. If you clear this check box, 7-Zip always will use the specified folder settings mode always.
7-Zip uses temporary archive files for all update operations. So, for speed reasons, it is recommended that you select the System temp folder option and select Use for removable drives only check box.
Allows you to specify settings for the editor.
- Specifies the path to the viewer that will be used for "View" command (F3).
- Specifies the path to the editor that will be used for "Edit" command (F4).
- Specifies the path to a file comparison utility that shows the differences between two files.
Allows you to specify some settings.
- Show .. item
- Shows .. item in file list.
- Show real file icons
- Shows real file icons in file list. If this option is enabled, listing updates can be slower.
- Show system menu
- Shows a system context sub-menu in the File menu.
- Full row select
- When an item is selected, the item and all its subitems are highlighted.
- Show grid lines
- Displays gridlines around items and subitems.
- Single-click to open an item
- If enabled, File Manager opens files and folders by single-clicking them.
- Alternative selection mode
- If enabled, File Manager keeps selection mark when you move cursor.
- Use large memory pages
- If enabled, 7-Zip will try to use large pages. This feature allows an increase in speed of compression. This may cause 7-Zip to pause when starting compression, because of allocation of the large pages. Also, the Windows Task Manager doesn't show the real memory usage of the program, if 7-Zip uses large pages. This feature works only on Windows 2003 / XP x64. Also you must have administrator's rights for your system. Recommended size of RAM: 1 GB or more. To install this feature you must run 7-Zip File Manager at least once, close it and reboot the system.
Allows you to change the default language.
- Lists the available languages.